To enhance the socio-economic development of the country, Ethiopian Public Health Institute (EPHI) is mandated to protect and promote the health of Ethiopian people by addressing priority public health and nutrition problems through problem solving research, public health emergency management, and establishing and monitoring quality laboratory system. In order to bring successful and sustainable development through fast and result oriented action, EPHI needs to lead its direction and the whole process by planning, monitoring and evaluation so as to realize its mission and vision. EPHI has established Plan, Monitoring and Evaluation Directorate (PMED) to have strong and organized plan, resource mobilization, and monitoring and evaluation system.
Objectives of the Directorate
• To provide advices to the senior management on the Institute’s strategies and results (thematic areas, strategic results, strategic objectives, strategic initiatives) of public health development.
• To set medium and long-term national public health institute development goals, objectives and strategies.
• To plan and implement the EPHI’s development strategies.
• To monitor the implementation of the institute’s projects and programs.
• To evaluate the performance and impact of national public health institute development plan.
• To analyze the institute’s programs for ensuring the national public health development agenda.
Plan, Monitoring and Evaluation Directorate (PMED) has the following roles and responsibilities:
1. Planning-Both Strategic and annual plans (comprehensive plan, core plan, joint plan, programflagship initiative plan) of the Institute
1.1. Planning to plan
1.2. Input gathering and design
1.3. Conduct situational analysis (SWOT and PEST analysis)
1.4. Defining themes, strategic results, goals/objectives, indicators, strategic initiatives
1.5. Analyse resource gap by source and program, and costing the plan
1.6. Conduct resource mapping
1.7. Presenting for approval and finalization
1.8. Develop detail action plan
1.9. Preparing project/program monitoring and evaluation log frame;
1.10. Providing input for the preparation of GTP of the country’s and Health Sector Transformation Plan (HSTP) in line with MDGs.
1.11. Conduct training
2. Conduct Monitoring and integrative supportive supervision
2.1. Preparing project performance reports and providing findings and recommendation reports to the concerning bodies;
2.2. Conduct integrated supportive supervisions to check the progress of project implementation providing on-site support where necessary;
2.3. Implementing Project management (Monitoring project activities towards efficient utilization of resources);
2.4. Providing technical assistance and coaching the organization’s staffs to ensure M&E approaches are in-line with EPHI standards of performance.
3. Conduct evaluation/research
3.1. Conduct baseline, mid-term and end-term evaluations of projects/programs/strategies;
3.2. Conduct policy evaluation;
3.3. Conduct market feasibility/cost effectiveness evaluation/ of technologies;
3.4. Evaluating research priorities to set research agenda;
3.5. Conduct cost effectiveness and impact evaluations of programs/projects/technologies/evidence-based information;
3.6. Research and development (RAD)
3.7. Data collection, analysis, preparing technical reports/publication and documentation;
4. Resource mobilization and grant management
4.1. Establishing collaborators’ linkage;
4.2. Need assessment and identification;
4.3. Developing fund rising project proposals based on thematic areas/priorities, resource gaps and the respective donors’ guidelines and standards;
4.4. Preparing TOR and grant letter;
4.5. Resource mobilization and
4.6. Facilitating grant agreement.
5. Other Duties
5.1. Conduct training to staffs
5.2. Consulting on planning, monitoring and evaluation of the institute